Get Packing: Top 10 List for Packing To Move to Another Country
If an American is moving to another country, there are certain comforts from home one must take with. Unfortunately, your mother and ranch dressing may not be coming. Here is a top 10 list for moms of things that should make your new home a little sweeter.
1) Electronics are a must! Electronics are typically cheaper in the US than most other countries; unless the move is to China. Anything electronic that a family cannot live without for an extended amount of time should come with, along with an adaptor to plug in products. It is hard to imagine, but the cold harsh reality is not every country will have an Apple Store. Some countries rely on Apple Resellers (NOT THE SAME) Please, be sure that you know your Apple ID and security answer to save time if any problems with Apple products should occur.
2) Space is limited, choose wisely! Rolls clothes to allow for more space in luggage. Maybe leave behind valuables at a trusted persons (family or friends) that can be retrieved on a later visit. I like to think of this as a cleansing experience really letting go of what you do not need.
3) Sell furniture or anything that cannot be moved. No matter how useless that ugly dresser is; somebody wants it and $50 is more useful than nothing. Save the trip to the garbage.
4) Donate to Goodwill. This will create a tax break that could offer a financial reward when it becomes tax time.
5) Practice giving unselfishly. Friends and family may want items you cannot bring. The feeling of goodwill to others; especially family and friends may (or may not) come back.
6) Ship what you really want! I recommend putting a monetary limit on this cost (for example, $100). Keep in mind, that a small budget may only afford a small box or couple pounds. During my pregnancy, my mother spent me care packages from the US. It was her way of participating from far away. It meant so much to me, but I often wondered if postage was worth more monetarily than the stuff inside.
7) If your pregnant, only bring clothes that you can fit in. Why keep a visual reminder of the size you use to be 🙂
8) Carry on is FREE!!! I repeat your first carry on bag is usually free! Take advantage of this luxury. A purse, medication and important documents should always travel with close and not with checked-in luggage. All of these thing should be included in the diaper bag if this is your carry on.
9) Most airlines will allow for extra weight when a baby is with you, will allow you bring your car seat, breast pump and stroller for free.
10) If you are a mom and do not want to give up American children classic movie or literature. Bring it with. Sure assimilating to your new culture with books and movies from that country. However, when I wanted to watch Lady and the Tramp and it was not available on Amazon Prime my heart broke just a bit.
Migrating to a new place is hard, some things simply will not make the cut. What one gives up in material possessions hopefully will be made up for in new memories. This top 10 list of things to consider when packing should help you make the most of it.